Make your conversion legal

 Now that I have achieved the MVP stage of my conversion, it's time to make it legal (here in the UK), so I can go on the public roads and update the insurance too. 


The whole process took me just over a month.

In this picture you can see the screenshot of my vehicle details before and after the change. Note the fuel type towards the bottom.



Before starting, obviously, I did some research to understand what other people in similar circumstances did. You can find some interesting posts on www.endless-sphere.com and the www.diyelectriccar.com, by searching 'DVLA registration'.

I had also the chance to speak to the guys at Electricclassiccars, and eDub to ask advise on the process, when I've met them at an event.

This is a summary of what I did.

I've filled up my V5 section 1 - Change my vehicle details with the following changes:

  • Type of fuel: Electricity
  • Engine number: here you would put your electric motor number (mine has one)
  • Cylinder capacity (cc): 0

Then I have written a letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ asking to have the vehicle detail changed after a conversion to electric for my classic car.
In the letter I did also iterated the V5 changes listed above and listed items of evidence for the conversion.
My evidence included: 
Receipt of Motor and the whole kit, 
Receipt of the battery purchase (eBay receipt), 
Diagram schematic of the electric conversion kit,
Photo showing the motor mounted and the detail of the motor number,
Photo of chassis number and car with visible registration plate.

Then I've posted the letter with the V5 including the evidence print outs and photocopies listed above to the DVLA.

After 2 weeks I received a reply letter asking me to fill in the V894 (which was included in their letter), and the 'Built up vehicle report' (V627/1) form as way to provide more information about the changes. They were also asking for photos of the vehicle before and after the changes if possible, with one photo showing the registration number.

In the V627/1 I've described in details what the changes were.

DVLA offered the opportunity to continue the application via email so I have emailed PDF and photos of the above forms and documents.

After a few days I received a message asking to have the vehicle inspected.

The inspections are carried out by a third party, so all I had to do was to call them up and book an appointment for a home visit.
I've understood that you can take the vehicle to one of their test centers if you want and have means of trailing the car there.

After a week the inspector came around to look at the car, took pictures of it in details for all the new components to help in filling up a report.
I've understood that they were happy as in my case no alteration to the chassis were made.

After a week I was communicated the inspection was satisfactory and changes were made to the V5 showing the type of fuel as electric.

The new updated V5 was sent a few days after.

All in all it was a good experience, the use of email for communicating made things faster and I had a DVLA representative who was following my case, so that was reassuring.

Now, with my new updated V5 I could get the insurance updated and start beating the roads.

Note that I did not change the Tax Class as my vehicle is a classic and it is tax exempt. If you needed to change the tax class I think you would have to fill in a V70 form, but I've read while researching that getting the tax class changed may be problematic when your vehicle is manufactured after 2000-2002.

The new V5, now instructs to use a different post code to send requests to (SA99 1BA).





Comments

Popular