Wiring up the on-board charger

 I have now wired up the basic system and adding the on board charger. This for me at the moment is an Elcon 3.3Kw, hoping this unit will work.
I have connected the AC input to the J1772 charging port except the proximity and pilot signal. 
Then I have connected the DC output to the battery.

At this point I've connected the power lead from the mains to run my first connection test and it failed, nothing would run.

My next step was to figure out why the charger would not start. I was expecting the fan to start spinning and some noise coming from the charger unit, but nothing happened.

Looking at a few docs about this charger:
The specifications PDF - HK-J-H132-32-verA1.pdf

Wiring instructions - https://www.elithion.com/lithiumate/php/elcon.php

Lots of other posts on forums.

Looking at this sources I noticed the Enable connection is connected to a + 12V to turn on the charger, so I did connect this terminal to the 12V one, but nothing happened.

Back to square one. Research more...

Now the latest find is that no matter what, the charger expects CAN signals in order to star. 

I can connect the charger and see the led lighting up blinking red green and red, which I read in docs seems to be a communication error. So this would confirm my find mentioned above.

Testing further with a multimeter I do get the reading for the +12V right, so that function of the charger works.

Next thing to test is to try to push CAN signals down the CANL and CANH wires... 

This would be a challenge...

As fallback strategy I'll look around to alternatives for chargers.

  1. Charge the modules with a bench power supply
  2. Buy a cheap lithium battery charger rated for the voltage rate of my battery, there seem to be quite a few for electric scooters that would get close to the voltage. Though I don't trust that this would work on my modules effectively.
  3. Look around for another charger that doesn't require CAN communication.
  4. Learn and get hold of the devices needed for setting up a CAN system.


  

Comments

Popular