Electric conversion for my Fiat 500 – day 5

 Today I have pushed all the cabling through the heating ducts. There is a tunnel in the Fiat 500 that from the rear engine bay goes to the front also reaching the bonnet area.

STEP 40
I had to unscrew the cover for the tunnel in between the back seat 2 screws.

STEP 41
The I had to unscrew the gear stick flange, which is 4 screws.

STEP 42
Then I had to unscrew the duct metal part by the front foot rests, this is also near the throttle pedal.
There were quite a few missing screws on mine, so I had to deal with only 2 of them.
To gain access to the screws I had to remove some to the carpet.

STEP 43
Remove the flexible tubes for the front hot hair conducts. Pull and slide twisting. 

STEP 44
Remove the flexible tube under the front bonnet. Slide twist and pull.

STEP 45
Unscrew the U or actually L bend pipe that takes the hot air to the front bonnet. 2 bolts.

STEP 46
Hover and clean the tunnel/duct.

STEP 47
Pass a cable sleeve through the tunnel/duct starting from the front of the car. I've used a flexible rod to help me fish the sleeves through the heating ducts.
I have also pushed the cable and sleeve that came with my charging port cable. The cable is 3 meters long and it is just long enough to come out from the back end of the heating duct by the engine bay.

The charging port cable now travels through the car from the front to the back. I may need to make some modifications to the charging wires as it is likely that I'll end up having to keep a couple of batteries also at the front.

I have then pushed through the white sleeve all my motor cables.

STEP 48
Screw back all the lids and covers undoing the steps from 45 to 40.


This is the back seat area.

This is the front seat area


STEP 49
I have stated to arrange the secondary batteries so to find an optimal layout that would make the most of the space at the back.
I will, at some point build boxes to keep the batteries sealed.



These two modules together weight 24.6 Kg and are almost equivalent to the other module for my primary batteries which weight 27.1 Kg. 
The secondary modules are also made out of Samsung SDI cells. They are arranged in 12S1P making up a 44V and 49Amp each module.
These modules come recycled from a Jaguar / Land Rover PHEV. 

Next steps:
Fit the flywheel and the motor with the adapter plate to the transmission.


Comments

Popular